Land Use




Maine Community


HCPC Services

News, Newsletters and Press Releases

Municipal Contact Form


Web site Language Options

Find HCPC on Facebook

Find HCPC on Facebook

Hancock County
Planning Commission

A voluntary association of governments in Hancock County, Maine

HCPC has been providing planning and related government-support assistance to Hancock County municipalities since 1970. Our services now include special projects such as support for healthy communities, housing and community development planning and hazardous waste planning. Explore these developments along with our ongoing work in land use, transportation, economic development, solid waste and recycling:

Quick Link to Summer Newsletter


Sign up for HCPC Newsletter and News Blasts

Shoreland Zoning MRC Prepares for the Future
Building Permit Fees Household Hazardous Waste Collection 8/2/14
Flood Insurance Maps Downeast Coastal Corridor Plan
CDBG News Black Woods Recreation Map
Brownfields Drug Free Communities

Household Hazardous Waste Collection HHW Collection
August 2 - 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Ellsworth High School

  • Residents of participating towns: free disposal of 10 gallons and/or 40 lbs of Household Hazardous Waste and Universal (Electronic) Waste. Please pre-register with your town office before August 2.
  • Residents of non-participating towns: disposal fee $26 per 5 gallon or 20 lbs units.

Details - Click Here or contact Sheri Walsh at 667-7131 / swalsh@hcpcme.org.

Hancock County Drug Free Communities
Monday, July 14th 3:30 - 5:30 pm Ellsworth City Hall - Auditorium

  • Drug Free Communities Coalition update
  • Emerging themes from recent events
  • Presentation and community discussion facilitated by Acadia Family Center staff.
    "Positive and Resilient Youth" Presented by Kip Young, LAD

This meeting is open to all who live in our communities. Parents, grandparents, and youth are encouraged to attend.

July 19, 2014 7:00 AM - Noon *** Free E-Waste Collection ***

The Noon-time Rotary Club of Ellsworth is sponsoring a free e-waste collection at the Home Depot parking lot 56 Myrick Street in Ellsworth. This event is free and open to households throughout Maine. They will be accepting electronic items including televisions, computers, monitors, printers, fax machines, copiers, lead-acid batteries. FMI- Jen Saunders, 266-1553.

Recreational Trails Program Funding
Presite Visit Request (Recommended) by July 25; Applications Due November 14, 2014

RecTrailThe Recreational Trails Program (RTP) funds trail improvements in communities throughout the state each year. RTP is a federal assistance program to help states provide and maintain recreational trails for both motorized and non-motorized use.  It provides funds for a variety of trails including those for walking, bicycling, in-line skating, water activities, equestrian use, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, off-road motorcycling, all-terrain vehicle use, four-wheel driving, and other off-road vehicle use.

Deadline for the application is November 14, 2014; Presite Visit Request (Recommended) by July 25, 2014.  See here for more information and the application.  Please contact Mick Rogers, Supervisor of Outdoor Recreation with any questions at mick.rogers@maine.gov


MaineDOT Transportation Survey

Please fill out the MaineDOT Public Opinion Survey on long-range transportation needs. This is your opportunity to help shape the future of transportation in Maine!

The Maine Department of Transportation (DOT) is asking for input for their statewide long-range transportation plan. Your answers will affect the way the Department sets goals, objectives, and strategies for future transportation projects in Maine.

ENVIRO-GRANTS - Application Deadline August 29, 2014
The City of Ellsworth is offering grants for protecting water resources from pollution within the Union River watershed including Ellsworth, Otis, Mariaville, Waltham, Lamoine, Orland, Surry and Fletcher's Landing. Eligible activities include:

  • Replacement of home heating tanks
  • Upgrading septic systems
  • Land conservation
  • Stormwater management
  • Others

To learn more visit or contact: www.ellsworthmaine.gov
Michele Gagnon mgagnon@ellsworthmaine.gov  669-6608
Elena Piekut epiekut@ellsworthmaine.gov  669-6615

Maine Department of Transportation Drafts Request for Proposals for Planning Partnership Initiative (Proposal Deadline: Not Applicable) A new program is under design for transportation planning that encourages towns to apply for funding of specific planning projects that can be completed in four to nine months. As proposed, towns would be responsible for 50% of the total project cost. See the draft guidelines here. Contact Jim Fisher at HCPC if you have questions. We will post the final announcement when it is available.

Mission and Services

Select town for detailed information

Click on town for detailed information

HCPC, 395 State Street, Ellsworth, ME 04605
Voice: (207) 667-7131 Fax: (207) 667-2099
EMail: hcpc@hcpcme.org - Map to HCPC

The Hancock County Planning Commission prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation or marital or family status. The HCPC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Search the HCPC Web site:

Great Pond Amherst Aurora Osborn Mariaville Waltham Eastbrook Otis Dedham Bucksport Verona Island Orland Ellsworth Franklin Hancock Sullivan Penobscot Blue Hill Castine Brooksville Brooklin Deer Isle Sedgwick Stonington Swans Island Surry Trenton Tremont Lamoine Bar Harbor Mount Desert Frenchboro Southwest Harbor Cranberry Isles Sorrento Gouldsboro Winter Harbor Unorganized Territories - Townships Unorganized Territories - Townships