Commute Another Way Week
May 14th - 18th
Maine’s big statewide transportation event is happening soon… Register now at www.commuteanotherwayweek.org (it’s fast & free) to get in on the PRIZE DRAWINGS for a commuter bike, a lobster feast, Downeaster rail travel, gift certificates for dining, shopping, entertainment and more!
· MONDAY, May 14 - VANPOOL MONDAY: Try a vanpool! There are currently nine convenient, comfortable, and money-saving express vanpools operating from the Greater Portland and Lewiston-Auburn areas to the Augusta region. If one of these might work for you, call GO MAINE at 800.280.RIDE and we'll get you a FREE RIDE PASS to try it out. In other areas GO MAINE can make minivans available to you and your co-workers to try vanpooling on CAWW. Contact us in advance to make arrangements.
· TUESDAY, May 15 - TRANSIT TUESDAY: It's "Transit Tuesday!" so try the bus or ferry or rail! Read a book; enjoy the sights or just daydream! Many major transit operators throughout Maine will be offering FREE or discounted rides (some requiring with your CAWW T-Shirt or event sticker) on CAWW. Check with your local transit operator for a bus, ferry or rail schedule for route and schedule information for the transit service in your area. NOTE: The BAT (Greater Bangor region), Citilink (Auburn-Lewiston), METRO (Greater Portland), South Portland Bus Service, and ZOOM Turnpike Express will be FREE system-wide all day on Transit Tuesday!
· WEDNESDAY, May 16 - CARPOOL WEDNESDAY: Carpool and share the ride! Save money on gas and tolls. Team up with a co-worker, neighbor or spouse and carpool to work together. Get a fast, free and confidential carpool "match-list" from GO MAINE online or 800.280.RIDE. Your "match list" will have the names and contact info of other commuters in your area who are interested in carpooling and share your same commute times and travel route.
· THURSDAY, May 17 - WALK or Anything Goes THURSDAY: Walk it (or anything goes, you pick!)! Put on your comfortable shoes and walk to work! Too far? Drive to a Park and Ride lot and walk the rest of the way. Check for the location of a convenient lot, or call 800.280.RIDE. Check out the great walking routes listed by Healthy Maine Walks, too.
· FRIDAY, May 18 - NATIONAL BIKE to WORK DAY: Bike it on "National Bike to Work Day"! Enjoy the fresh Maine air, and take advantage of the start of summer. Get great bike safety tips from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine. Too far to pedal all the way? Drive to a free Park and Ride lot and bike the rest! Check here for convenient Park and Ride lot locations or call 800.280.RIDE.
· SUMMER BONUS!!! Continue to "Commute Another Way" as often as possible throughout the summer, keep a simple logbook of your efforts, and you could win the GRAND PRIZE to be drawn right after Labor Day: A round-trip for 2 to Boston on the Amtrak Downeaster train for a day of fun, food and entertainment!
Hundreds of Maine business and organizations are expected to participate, as well as thousands of commuters who will be carpooling, vanpooling, riding the bus, train and ferry, or their bicycles, walking, telecommuting (and kayaking, and taking hayrides and other fun, silly things!) to work... It’s all in the interest of reducing traffic and pollution and saving money. It's the fun, healthy, and eco-friendly thing to do.