HCPC maintains a wide-ranging library useful for planning, land use regulation, environmental stewardship and public administration.
You can find:
Books including methods and materials of planning
Plans and Ordinances
Documents on current government programs
Videos on planning, transportation and community development
Maps in paper and digital formats
CD-ROMS for population and economic analysis
- An Introduction to the Legal Framework of Zoning and Land Use Regulation for Maine Planning Boards. (Southern Maine Regional Planning Commission, 1997) Provides an overview of the various land use laws that affect municipalities. It is a good reference for all planning boards. The HCPC sent copies to all planning boards in the region.
- Model Subdivision Regulations for Use by Maine Planning Boards (with expanded commentary and model forms). (Southern Maine Regional Planning Commission, 1996). In addition to containing model subdivision language, it also has extensive commentary and explanatory notes. Many towns in revising their subdivision ordinance standards have used this publication. The HCPC has several computer versions of these standards.
- A Wireless Telecommunications Facility Siting Ordinance: A Guide for Municipalities and Applicants seeking to plan and site wireless telecommunications facilities. (Maine State Planning Office, 1998) The 1996 Federal Wireless Telecommunications Act prohibits municipalities from banning such facilities and sets standards for how they may be regulated. This publication has sample standards and discusses other factors that towns may want to consider when regulating these facilities.
- Options for Municipalities Without Townwide Zoning. (Hancock County Planning Commission, 1997). Discusses various ordinances that towns can adopt without enacting town-wide zoning. It also has other ordinance adoption tips.
- An Introduction to Maine’s Subdivision Law. (Maine State Planning Office, 1998) This booklet is a summary of Maine’s subdivision law. It provides a good general overview of the law and a discussion of the review criteria in an easy-to-read format.
- State of Maine Guidelines for Municipal Shoreland Zoning Ordinances. (Department of Environmental Protection, 1999). These are the latest state minimum shoreland zoning standards.
- Site Plan Review Handbook: A Guide to Developing A Site Plan Review System. (State Planning Office, 1997) In addition to a sample site plan ordinance, there is an extensive discussion of site plan review procedures and factors to consider when developing a site plan review ordinance.
- Access Management: Improving the Efficiency of Maine Arterials, A Handbook for Local Officials. (Maine Department of Transportation, 1994). An Overview of how to manage the traffic-related impacts of major development on a highway).
Feel free to contact the HCPC staff if you have questions on how to use any of these publications.
Our phone number is 207-667-7131 or you can email us at email@example.com